Many people who develop a gambling problem do not realize it and the first to notice the behaviour is often a family member or a friend.
We can all sometimes lose a bit of betting discipline which can be brought under control by having an honest conversation with ourselves and having a commitment to become more educated on how to bet in a sustainable way.
However if someone is consistently displaying the following signs then it’s time to help that person before they develop a serious gambling addiction.
- Uncontrolled spending habits
- Spends significant amounts of time gambling
- Hides or lies about gambling behaviour
- Borrows money or steals to fund gambling
- Gambling impacting on relationships and causing arguments
- Withdrawal from activities with family and friends
- Loss of interest in hobbies or events
- Neglecting work or studies.
We recommend that you encourage the individual to contact a professional service to discuss their gambling behaviour and to seek help.